Friday, August 10, 2012

Review: Need


Need
Carrie Jones
Published by: Bloomsbury
Released: December 23, 2008
 



Description from Goodreads:

Pain shoots through my head. Fireworks. Explosions. All inside my brain. The white world goes dark and I know what's about to happen.

Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.

I am still a little undecided on this book. I'm stuck between finding it odd and loving it. So this review is going to be shorter than my usual ones because I'm not entirely sure how I really feel about it. It kept me wanting more, but it also drove me absolutely crazy (More than usual). I just don't know. There is definite mixed feelings.

Let's start out with the cons I guess:

The beginning is really weird. Like really really weird. Not your typical YA Paranormal weird. Legit weird. (I am totally going overboard on the "weird") I kept wondering what I was getting myself into. But I stuck it out and was plesantly surprised. You just need to get over the first four chapters.

Werewolves/Shifters and Pixies are not enemies. I had a hard time beliving that these guys are natural enemies. Every time I think of Pixies, my mind goes to Pixie Hollow with Tinkerbell and her pixie pals. I always thought of werewolves and vampires as enemies. So it was difficult to believe that these guys hate each other. Don't get me wrong, I like how it was different from most other YA Paranormal book out there. It was just something that bugged me a lot.

Now time for the pros:

I learned about a lot of phobias. Who knew there was so many phobias in the world? My personal favorite is Phobophobia: the fear of phobias :) I feel like that deserves a big DUN DUN DDDUUUNNN!! haha.

I liked how instead of a boring Chapter One, you got a phobia instead. The phobia dealt with what was going to happen in the chapter. I like how they foreshadowed what you were about to read. That is really different from all the other books I have read recently. A+ for creative chapter titles.

I like the characters. Finally, a narrator that didn't drive me crazy! Zara is probably the first character that I did not want to strangle in a very long time. Kuddos to you Carrie Jones. I did not want to strangle the girl. I did want to strangle Nick though. There was one point towards the end where I kept thinking, "Wow. You are really stupid. Come here so I can strangle your beefy neck." He turns around though (Thank the fictional Gods above).

These books kept my interest. So do I recomend going out a buying it? Maybe. I would check out the local library first to see. I'm just borrowing them from a friend, but I know these are ones that I would be happy just reading once and maybe again once in a blue moon. They are a pretty good read and maybe you will like them more than I do. Not all books are for everyone.

Review by Calypso

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just please keep these comments polite to others.