Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Review: The Selection




The Selection

Kiera Cass
Published by: HarperTeen
Released: April 24, 2012







The Selection tells the story of a poor girl named America Singer. She has fallen in love with someone from a caste below her, Aspen, and is determind to live a happily ever after with him. Then she is chosen for the Selection, an opportunity to go to the capital and fight for the chance of winning the beloved Prince Maxon's heart. Determind to get out of there as soon as possible, America is willing to do anything in order to have the stuffy, spoiled Maxon send her home. Instead, she is surprised by how Maxon is completely different than the prince she watches on television. Maybe the Selection isn't so bad after all...


Okay. I was a little iffy reading this book. On Goodreads, there was so many hateful reviews. I was scared to even bother picking it up for fear that it would turn out to be hopelessly boring and dreadful. I couldn't put it down.

The world that Kiera Cass created is so compelling and wonderful and unique from all other dystopian novels. Instead of a traditional rich capital and poor districts (Hello Hunger Games!) it was more of a caste system that slowly become more poor as the numbers went up. And even the capital wasn't all that rich either. Marrying below your caste is unheard of, a problem for America and Aspen. And you're given a chance to escape it by entering the Selection in order to become the prince's wife.

Trust me, I am no fan of love triangles. I hate them with a passion. Just ask Magnus. I despise the triangles. Lines are perfectly fine. But this is probably the first love triangle in history, HISTORY, that I was not completely annoyed with. It wasn't some dilema that was suddenly dropped on you like in some horrific soap opera. You know it was there from the very beginning when Aspen told America to enter the Selection. I swear it was a Christmas miracle that it didn't annoy me.

But Aspen. Oh Aspen. Why did you have to go and ruin it? There is something about that guy that irks me. Is it his undying need to support everyone? Or is it his stubborness to be manly? And seriously? What was the need to *SPOILER* have him show back up in the castle and ruin any chances for America to live happily ever after with Maxon? WHY!?!?! *END SPOILER* I can't stand the guy. Sorry, I tried. Didn't work.

And then there's Maxon. Wow. What a guy! I was expecting some spoiled, uptight, bratty prince. But he is totally not like that in the slightest. He's clueless, caring, and so so so sweet. (Side note: Why can't any guys be like that in my school? -_- ) I'm rooting for Maxon all the way.

Lastly, NO CLIFFHANGER ENDINGS! Yay! If there is anything worst than a love triangle, it's a cliffhanger. This book ended in such a way that didn't leave me panting and crying for the next one to come out. I can lean back, drink some Snapple, and be completely happy for all of the characters since none of them are dying, or missing, or about to make the biggest mistake ever. I cannot wait to see how all of this plays out in the end

So 4 stars? Yes. I think this book deserves it. I'm not sure why all of the haters hate this book so much. Sure, I guess you can compare it to The Hunger Games because they are similar qualities. But seriously? You can compare any dystopian novel and find similar qualities with everything. Aspen has an attitude problem like Gale. They're *GASP* Selected! Weird names man. Why even bother?

So if you want a nice read, I highly recommend The Selection. Go out to your local book store, grab an ice tea, sit back, and enjoy a good read.


Review by Calypso

1 comment:

  1. 'Kay. Magnus here. I have wanted to read this book for FOREVER!, but Calypso got it like last week and I haven't gotten it yet. -_-. But, if she liked the love triangle, then the book must have been amazing. Seriously, she always complains to me about the other guy showing up and ruining everything. I have to prover their virtues. Anyway, I just want the book!

    ReplyDelete

Just please keep these comments polite to others.